May 19, 2010

Enthusiastic Chicken Tortilla Soup


I recently came across this recipe on a blog I very much enjoy, called marta writes.  Since the soup had everything in it that I love I decided to give it a go.  I made it last night and it was yummy!  Since it was a cold rainy night it totally hit the spot!  I made a few changes/clarifications which I have noted in red.  Here's the link to the recipe on marta's blog with more delicious photos. 

Confession: I am in love with lime & cilantro!

enthusiastic chicken tortilla soup

2-3 cans chicken broth  (32 oz)
3-4 chicken breasts, cooked & shredded  (1 really big one)
1 can (7 oz.) diced green chiles  (4.5 oz can)
1 clove garlic, diced  (crushed)
1/2 cup salsa  (homemade pico de gallo)
1 cup corn, rinsed & drained  (I used frozen)
1 cup black beans, rinsed & drained
1/2 a bunch of cilantro, chopped
1 tomato or 1 tomatillo, diced  (I used tomato)
1 lime, juiced

toppings:
fresh slices of avocado
a dollop of sour cream
grated cheddar cheese  (jack cheese)
crushed tortilla chips
(homemade pico de gallo)

combine all the soup ingredients together in a large pot or crockpot. stir occasionally. simmer for a half hour or more. ladle soup into bowls and garnish with favorite toppings. enjoy. 

And, here's my pico de gallo recipe:

I make it just from my head, so all measurements are approximate. I taste as I go and never add all the onion or jalepenos unless it needs it.

1 lb tomatoes (I use Romas), diced
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
1-2 jalepenos, finely chopped
1-2 limes, juiced
salt to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...