June 10, 2011

Granola Bars

In my effort to be more healthy, eat less dairy, and keep our grocery bills within budget (despite the non-stop rising costs of groceries) I began making my own granola bars.  I make a large batch which lasts about a week.  They are easy to make, easy to transport, and the kids will eat them.  A perfect combo!

I've adapted this recipe from allrecipes.com.  I use less sugar and oil, and I've doubled the batch in the recipe below.



Kiasa's Granola Bars

4 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar (I'm going to use 1/4 cup next batch and see how it goes)
1 cup wheat germ
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups raisins (or any dried fruit)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup honey
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup applesauce
1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously grease two 9x13 inch baking pans.  (I have a large 12x16 inch cookie sheet I use.)

In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, raisins and salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in the oil, honey, eggs, applesauce and vanilla. Mix well. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be too hard to cut.

Here are some fun photos of the kids helping make the bars:

Mixing by hand is really the funnest way to go.

Patting mixture into pan...using surgical gloves, of course.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe - just what I need this summer!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...